THE MONOGRAM LOUNGE
Overlooking the distillery production floor, The Monogram Lounge is currently open Wednesday thru Sunday by reservation only. A lively, open gathering space that features a wide variety of cocktails, small plates, and Heim Beer on draft.
Wed/Thurs 3pm - 9pm
Friday 3pm - 10pm
Saturday 10am - 10pm
Sunday 10am - 6pm
Wed-Thurs 3pm-6pm, all day Sunday
Saturday & Sunday, 10am-2pm
We planted our flag in KC in 1887, only to meet an early demise in 1919 with the onset of the 18th Amendment and Federal Prohibition. 95 years later, two ambitious young KC guys refused to let Prohibition be the final fate for J. Rieger & Co.
In 2012 Andy Rieger, Jacob Rieger’s great-great-great grandson (and only living direct descendent at the time), and Ryan Maybee, a career bartender and restaurateur set out to resurrect this historic brand. Together they formed a bond based on their shared vision of re-establishing not only Andy’s family legacy, but also reviving the distilling industry in Kansas City. And in 2014, they relaunched J. Rieger & Co., Kansas City’s first distillery since Prohibition with the release of “Rieger’s Kansas City Whiskey”, a unique style of American Whiskey that pays tribute to J. Rieger & Co.’s history.
After 4 years of distilling and a growing demand in Kansas City and throughout the country, our need for a bigger home drove us to purchase the historic Heim Brewery’s bottling house, a 45,000 square foot, 3-story building built in 1901. Prior to Prohibition, the Heim’s bottled more 100,000 bottles of beer a day in this building, and shipped it out around the country on awaiting railcars right outside our front door. Sadly, the Heim brand also was lost to Prohibition. However, in 2018 we began construction to convert this building to our new distillery, breathing new life into the space while opening a visitor’s experience for the first time.
Our distillery offers daily tours, multiple bars, rentable space for private events, a 3,000 square foot historical exhibit, gift shop, and did we mention we have a slide? Because we have a slide!
We look forward to welcoming you into our home!
The Distillery is conveniently located 1.5 miles East of the River Market, in the historic Electric Park district of the East Bottoms.
Allow extra travel time as we are located directly next to active train tracks. Follow the Electric Park detour signs should you get stuck at a train crossing.
Parking is available in the complimentary surface lot on the west side of the building (on N. Montgall Ave.)
Tours of our Distillery are offered Wednesday-Sunday.
Book your tour today
We offer two bar experiences on site serving cocktails, beer, wine and food.
Overlooking the distillery production floor, The Monogram Lounge is currently open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday by reservation only. A lively, open gathering space that features a wide variety of cocktails, small plates, and Heim Beer on draft.
The Hey! Hey! Club is our intimate underground 48-seat bar. A loungy, comfortable space where we celebrate beautifully crafted cocktails and Kansas City’s past as a Jazz town.
Several areas of our Distillery are available for private events.
More information can be found here.
The Mercantile Gift Shop offers bottles of our spirits, merchandise and the opportunity to fill and label your own bottle of Kansas City Whiskey.
Shop J. Rieger & Co. online
Our distillery’s 130+ year history is on full display in our 3,000 square foot historical exhibit. Explore Kansas City’s long history of distilling and brewing, the story of Electric Park (Walt Disney’s inspiration for the Disney theme parks), and see original J. Rieger & Co. and Heim Brewery relics. Custom designed and built by Kansas City based Dimensional Innovations, open 7 days a week and always complimentary.
Hop on the only known distillery slide in the world! Our 40-foot custom built side in The Monogram Lounge is the coolest way to exit a bar.
J. Rieger & Co. adheres to all safety guidelines set forth by the Center for Disease Control, World Health Organization, and recommended by Jackson County Health Department. Below is a list of extra precautions we are taking in order to keep both our guests and employees safe.
1. Guests are required to wear masks until they have been seated for their experience, per city ordinance.
2. We kindly ask all guests to adhere to social distancing guidelines and remain at least 6-ft apart from other groups.
3. Please wash your hands, we have sanitizer stations throughout the building for your safety.
4. We encourage you to check in at the front desk for contact tracing purposes.
5. To limit the amount of contact, please ask for assistance while shopping in our retail shop.
1. Employees are required to wear a mask through the entirety of their shift.
2. Employees handling consumables are required to wear masks and gloves.
3. Employees are given daily health assessments and pre-screenings before entering the premises.
4. We have implemented steps to incorporate contactless payments, including offering pay-in-advance experiences to reduce and minimize cash handling.
5. Managers have completed certification in all ServSafe procedures and requirements recommended by the CDC & WHO.
6. Employees have been educated on best practices for protecting themselves and guests from Covid-19.
7. We are continually sanitizing all surfaces, bathrooms, and common areas throughout the day.
8. All team members are responsible for washing their hands at least every thirty minutes.
9. We are sanitizing all touch points after each use.
10. Cashless transactions are preferred at this time.
Enjoy your time with us and we thank you for doing your part to help keep our staff and your fellow patrons safe.